Monday, November 19, 2007

No. 87 - Raphael House

Raphael House

Raphael House
1903 – Sumner P. Hunt and Wesley Eager
1353 Alvarado Terrace – map
Declared: 7/7/71

Los Angeles Cultural-Historic Monument No. 87 is a Tudor Revival house built by Sumner P. Hunt and Wesley Eager around 1902 or 1903. The duo also designed three more HCMs, the Kinney-Everhardy House next door (No. 88) as well as homes for Arthur Bent (1904) and Thomas W. Phillips (1905), numbers 482 and 551.

Raphael House

The home was built for Robert H. Raphael, who paid $3,500 for the plot to put up “a home that will cost about $16,000”, according to a Los Angeles Times article from the spring of 1902.

Raphael, who made his money in the glass business, requested skillful beveled glasswork be incorporated flanking the main entrance. Of course, I didn't get a good shot of the notable windows.

Raphael House

Now, talk about hard times. R.H. Raphael, at the age of 68, was arrested for bouncing a $50 check at a Hollywood gas station, not far from his home at 7470 Franklin Avenue. This was in the summer of 1932. In reporting the case, the L.A. Times added the coda that Raphael “once was rated as a millionaire.”

An R.H. Raphael Sr. was living on Rexford Drive in Beverly Hills at the end of 1941. I choose to believe this was the same man who built this house. Further confirmatory research for would be too tedious.

In 1984, the Raphael House was a five-bedroom bed and breakfast known as Terrace Manor. The five bedrooms were “decorated in period prints and colors” and featured “tiger oak and Philippine mahogany paneling”.

Raphael House

Sources:

“Doings of Builders and Architects.” Los Angeles Times; Apr 6, 1902, p. A1

“Ex-Business Man Faces Check Case” Los Angeles Times; Aug 24, 1932, p. A8


Up next: Kinney-Everhardy House

8 comments:

E Downey said...

Hi,
I enjoyed your blog on the Raphael House. I have researched the Raphael's. Yes, he did live on Rexford Drive in Beverly Hills. His sons also owned large homes. I am not sure what happened to his money but would love to know for my research. I do know that his son had a child, who might know the rest of the story. I did not have the information on the bounce check but would love to know the source.

Floyd B. Bariscale said...

Hi, E. Downey. The source is the L.A. Times article listed above, the one from 8/24/32.

Malka Sabroe-JoHanson said...

Are you interested in some other photos for 1353 Alvarado St? I used to live there in the 1970's.

Anonymous said...

Hi Malka! I also lived there in the 1990's!

Unknown said...

Hmm just came across this blog. You seem
To know more about my family than I do? I'm RH Raphael's great grandson..

Floyd B. Bariscale said...

Hi, Scott. Any vintage photos, whether of the house, neighborhood, or your great-grandfather, you'd like to share?

S Fox said...

My grandparents owned this home in the late 70s early 80s I believe. Many great memories.

Anonymous said...

S Fox - Who are you? My grandparents owned this home during this timeframe as well... Is this Shelly?? Heather